Friday, January 9, 2015

Statistic by Dawn Robertson







Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

Title:  Statistic
 
Author:  Dawn Robertson
 
Publisher: Dawn Robertson (I think)
 
Genre:  Contemporary Romance/Suspense

Length: 199 Pages   

Summary :  


Four Men.
One Woman.
And one of the hardest choices Aurora Alexander will ever have to make.

Newly divorced, single mother Aurora is desperately trying to move on with her life. After a string of unsuccessful blind dates, she turns to internet dating.

Everyone does it, so it has to be safe.

Right?

Hot one night stands. Sexting. And an Alpha man who sweeps her off of her feet. Aurora thinks she has found her happily ever after. But among her suitors is one man who plays by a different set of rules, someone who isn’t who he says.

Will Aurora figure out who doesn’t have her best interest at heart?

Or is she destined to become a Statistic?




Review

**We did a buddy read in my book club where we were paired up with another member and chose a book for each other. This is the book that was chosen for me by my buddy. It was a fun experience and I hope we do it again at some point! It's fun to be introduced to new books and/or authors and see what other friends are reading and what they like. I hope she likes the one I picked for her!**

Now on to the review....  

This is a hard book to review without giving too much away. I think I did okay and this shouldn't need a spoiler warning. Proceed at your own risk though.

I went into this a little blind. I read the blurb but didn't read any of the reviews (still haven't) and thought okay, this sounds interesting! Then the prologue completely threw me because it sounded like it was going to go in a completely different direction than I was anticipating from the blurb. And, boy did it!

The book was really good. A few wrong words here and there that became a little annoying. And she screwed up the names in the middle of the book and left it that way for the rest of the book. It was just a middle name, so it shouldn't have been a big deal, and wouldn't have been if she didn't keep having people address the hero with his first and middle names. Once it was changed, it did stay consistent though, it didn't keep changing back and forth. She also used the "c" word, which is probably the one word that I hate the most but she only used it once. I'm no prude, I just don't like that word, personally, and it jars me out of the action when I see it. *Editing to also add: Aurora has only had one sexual partner - her husband, who was also her high school sweetheart. She was very unsure of herself, seemed to have low self esteem and maybe even a little shy...this just didn't seem like the kind of word she would use.

I liked Aurora, she was likable and fun, and her little boy was cute. The difficulties between Aurora and her ex-husband were believable as were the issues that Aurora had because of it.

The suspense built. I suspected everybody...and I did manage to figure out part of it. I'm usually pretty good about figuring things out ahead of time. Then came the end with a HUGE TWIST that I didn't see coming and I gotta say, I was ready to strangle the author! The author's first words after the end of the book were literally "Ok. I know. Ya'll hate me right now." Seriously! I was pissed!

That said, it is a good book and worth reading. It has a good message about being careful about internet dating, likable characters, interesting plot and is paced well. She wrote the little kids very well, which some authors can't pull off. There will be a sequel but it doesn't have what I really considered a cliffhanger. 

There's also a teaser chapter of the sequel at the end, so you get a little peek, although it hasn't been released yet. I haven't decided yet if I want to read it or not.


If you read it, come back and let me know what you think! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment