Friday, February 26, 2016

Worth the Wait by K.M. Neuhold Book Review


Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

Title: Worth the Wait (Sexy Nerd Boys #1)

Author: K.M. Neuhold

Genre: New Adult/College,  Contemporary Romance

Pages: 208 Pages

SUMMARY:

Abby:

I have issues. Like, serious, major issues. And, the last thing I want or need is a man in my life to make things more complicated. Unfortunately for me my roommates drop dead gorgeous brother seems hell bent on seducing me. And, what’s worse is that he’s kind of the perfect guy. Resisting him just might kill me.

Ethan:

I don’t do relationships. I prefer to keep things casual, and I’m always up front with women so that no one ever gets hurt. But, my sister’s new roommate…yeah I might have a small obsession. What the hell is a guy supposed to do though when he meets a woman who is not only beautiful but also feisty, fun, and way into nerd culture? I may be doomed.

**Recommended for readers 17+ due to mature themes

REVIEW:

I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but I am a total nerd about some other things so I was excited to read this book and see how the author did with nerdy characters. She did great! Even not being a Doctor Who fan, I was never lost in what was going on. I'm sure legit fans of the Doctor would enjoy that aspect of the book even more! It's always fun to see one of our nerdy fandoms show up in a book.

We get to meet Abby, Lee and Ethan all almost immediately when Abby moves in with Lee. I love the dynamics between Lee and her big brother, Ethan and also between Ethan and Abby. These are characters that won me over quickly and I wanted to root for them and know more about them.

Abby is a scarred, emotionally distant girl with a tragic past that has no interest in much that campus life has to offer beyond completing her education. While she seems to have formed an attachment to her roommate, Lee, she hasn't opened up to her about anything personal.

Ethan is Lee's older brother and a local Casanova among the ladies on campus. He's known for *ahem* getting the job done. Every time. This leads to a couple awkward moments, as you can imagine. He is just a good-time guy. Laid back, ready to have fun in all areas of life and not interested in settling down.

When Ethan first meet Abby, he sees her as nothing more than a potential new conquest. He thinks  she's sexy, and she doesn't seem to be interested in him at all, which piques his interest even more...until he's warned off by baby sister. Then it becomes a bit of an obsession. The more time he spends around Abby, however, the more he realizes how much they have in common and how much  he actually really likes her, as a person. Soon, he wants to hang out with her even above hanging out with his guy friends.

These two bond over a love of Doctor Who. Ethan can let his nerd flag fly when he hangs out with Abby. It's cute. It also draws Abby out of her shell and helps her learn to trust Ethan and eventually open up to him. These two together make perfect sense.


**MILD SPOILERS BELOW**


Okay, the things that kept me from giving this a higher rating.

Given Abby's past, I thought that their first couple sexual encounters would have been more traumatic for her than they were. Or, at the very least, would not have gone as easily as they did. Also, once they started, it seemed like they were going at it at every available opportunity. No easing into things for them! That seemed a little out of character for someone with her traumatic past.

We were told about Ethan's Casanova reputation more than we were shown.  Aside from a couple of very brief encounters, there really isn't anything more to show us his history. He doesn't even seem to have the personality of a playboy.

I would have liked more of Ethan's (and Lee's) back story. We get glimpses of it here and there a couple of times but it's never really fleshed out. It left his story feeling a little unfinished.

Even though Ethan and Abby get their happily ever after, it seemed like it ended a little abruptly to me.

Overall, a solid first book from this new author and I really look forward to reading more from her!

Amazon Link: Worth the Wait
Title: Cross the Stars
Series: Crossing Stars Duet #1
Author: Venessa Kimball writing as V. Angelika
Genre: New Adult/Adult Contemporary Romance
Release Date: March 8, 2016
- See more at: http://kickbackandreview.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2016-02-16T12:00:00-05:00&max-results=7&start=41&by-date=false#sthash.55cvqmR3.dpuf
Title: Cross the Stars
Series: Crossing Stars Duet #1
Author: Venessa Kimball writing as V. Angelika
Genre: New Adult/Adult Contemporary Romance
Release Date: March 8, 2016
- See more at: http://kickbackandreview.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2016-02-16T12:00:00-05:00&max-results=7&start=41&by-date=false#sthash.55cvqmR3.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment